We would like to share with you some critical facts and tips for safer night driving. Vision is always important when we are driving. As we grow older, our eyes change and our reaction times increase. This is particularly true of night driving.
A few important facts:
- Vision influences 90% of your reaction time.
- The fatality rate for accidents is 3 times greater at night.
- At age 50 you need twice the amount of light to see to drive as a 30-year-old driver.
- 32% of crashes involve at least one driver who has been drinking alcohol.
- The most dangerous time for crashes with fatalities is weekend nights.
Key vision dangers affecting night driving:
- Depth perception is reduced (sometimes distance perception is also affected).
- Color recognition suffers.
- Peripheral vision is limited.
Helpful tips for safer night driving:
- Keep your windows and lights clean.
- Keep your headlights adjusted correctly.
- Dim your dashboard lights.
- Reduce driving speed.
- Increase your following distance.
- Slow down enough that you could stop within the distance lit by your headlights.
- Don’t use high beams when approaching or following another vehicle.
- Adjust your rearview mirror so you are not blinded by lights behind you.
- If glare from oncoming vehicles is blinding you, use the right side of the road as a guide.
- Pay attention to flashes of headlights ahead. They may indicate sharp turns or hills.
- Wear glasses with anti-reflective lenses.
- Stop periodically for a snack.
- Keep your eyes moving as you scan areas and traffic around you.
- Watch for animals, pedestrians, and other hazards on the road.
- Don’t drink, use drugs, drive distracted, or drive drowsy.
Call Altizer Law, P.C.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another person and through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your hurts and harms. Bettina Altizer and her expert team at Altizer Law, P.C., have been helping people obtain the compensation they are due for 30 years. They are known for a unique blend of compassion and fierce legal representation. They understand that it’s about the money.