Toy-related injuries to children account for one U.S. emergency room admission every 3 minutes. As we enter the peak season for purchasing children’s toys for the holidays, we hope to help you choose safe toys for the children in your life.
- Between 1990 and 2011, 3,278,073 children were treated in Emergency Rooms for toy-related injuries.
- In 2011, a child was treated for a toy-related injury every 3 minutes.
- Slightly more than half of those injuries affected a child under the age of 5.
- During this 22-year period, the rate of injury increased by almost 40%.
- Much of the increase in injury rate was connected with foot-powered scooters.