Tucked into the beautiful mountains of southwestern Virginia, Montgomery County thrives as a progressive, education-centered community that offers abundant business opportunities, leisure activities, and technological advancements to support modern lifestyles.
Whether you are visiting or you live in Montgomery County, you might need an injury lawyer to help you recover costs, losses and compensation for an accident that occurs through no fault of your own. When you, or a loved one, need an experienced personal injury or medical malpractice attorney, call Altizer Law, P.C. We are here to help you get back on your feet, and to deal with insurance companies for you in order to recover the compensation you are entitled to receive under the laws of Virginia. If a loved one has died as a result of the illegal actions or negligence of another, we will file a wrongful death lawsuit on your behalf.
Montgomery County is part of the Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford, VA Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is home to 94,392 people (2010 census). The county seat is Christiansburg, and the largest town is Blacksburg. The County includes 389 square miles – 387 sq. mi. of land and 22 sq. mi. of water. The population density is 215 people per square mile. The County is governed by a Board of Supervisors.
In addition to the towns of Christiansburg and Blacksburg, Montgomery County has a number of unincorporated communities, including Alleghany Springs, Bradshaw, Belmont, Childress, Ellett, Elliston-Lafayette, Graysontown, Ironto, Long Shop, Lusters Gate, McCoy, McDonalds Mill, Merrimac, Pilot, Plum Creek, Prices Fork, Riner, Rogers, Shawsville, Sowers, Sugar Grove, Tom’s Creek, Vicker, Walton, and Yellow Sulphur Springs.
Montgomery County is part of the Jefferson National Forest, a national protected area, and the western part of the county is in the New River watershed. The county is crisscrossed by several highways: I-81, U.S. 11 and 460, and State Routes 8, 111, 114, 177, 232, 314, and 412. Part of the future I-73 will also pass through the County.
Accidents happen on highways and in towns. If you or a loved one are injured in an accident with another car, a bicycle, a motorcycle or a tractor-trailer, and the accident was not your fault, you may have grounds to file suit against the responsible driver. Altizer Law, P.C., has more than 20 years of experience with accident personal injury cases. If you are injured, call 911. Then, call us. We will be there to help you and your family to understand the accident and your injuries. We will help your family cope with doctors and hospitals, as well as rehabilitation centers, and support you in your recovery. At the same time, we will gather evidence and medical records to build the strongest possible case on your behalf. In time, either through arbitration or through the courts, we will represent you to recover the largest allowable compensation under Virginia law.
The following chart shows accidents in Montgomery County in 2015.
Education matters in Montgomery County, especially higher education. Virginia Tech (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University) is located in Blacksburg, as is Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. Radford University and New River Community College are nearby. These schools bring many students into the County.
One of the Happiest Cities
Christiansburg has been ranked third among Virginia’s happiest cities. “With around 21,000 residents, Christiansburg offers small town charm with no shortage of amenities when it comes to shopping, entertainment and parks. Surrounded by southwest Virginia’s mountains and full of rich history, the town provides both outdoor activities and indoor culture to spare. Thanks to low housing costs and an overall enviable cost of living, Christiansburg keeps everyone happy by providing an affordable option for professionals, families and retirees alike.”
One of the Best Places to Retire
Forbes Magazine has consistently ranked Blacksburg as one of the 25 best places to retire in the U.S. Forbes does not rank the 25 places on the list so that no city or town can claim to be number one. Important factors in the ranking were cost of living, home prices, weather, walkability, public safety, unemployment and access to health care.
The town’s location in a low-crime area makes it desirable among older adults. The national violent crime rate average is 367 per 100,000 people, according to recent FBI data. The Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Radford area’s violent crime rate is far below the national average at 175 per 100,000 people.
The leading industries in Montgomery County are Government, Retail Trade, Manufacturing, Accommodation and Food Services, and Health Care and Social Assistance. A large portion of the economy is based in
- Advanced manufacturing – Manufacturing has flourished in Montgomery county for decades. The combination of location, low utility costs, and a blue collar workforce that is among the most innovative and cost-effective in the world. Leading firms in this area include: Aegisound, Aeroprobe Corp, BAE Systems, Celanese, Corning, Inc., Federal Mogul, Eaglepicher Wolverine, LLC, ESS Technologies, Hubbell Lighting, Kollmorgen, Luna Innovations, Inc., Moog Components Group, Pheniox Packaging, Prestar Packaging, Prime Photonics, Rowe Furniture, Inc., Techsburg, TORC Robotics, VOT, Inc., and Volvo Trucks North America.
- Biosciences and healthcare – the Montgomery County biosciences industry is clustered in the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center (CRC), which is home to more than 21 bioscience companies and research centers. Bioscience is also a research focus for Virginia Tech. Leading firms in this area include: Abokia, Axon Nutritionals, BC Genesis, Intrexon Corporation, Keraderm Corp, Luna Innovations, Inc. LewisGale Hospital at Montgomery, New River Pharmaceuticals, New River Valley Medican Center, Novozymes, OcuCure Therapeutics, Inc., Revivicor, Inc., Synthonics, Techlab, Inc. and Techulon.
- IT and software development – the local universities are producing coders and network engineers equal to talent found in Silicon Valley and other national tech hubs. Leading firms in this area include 1901 Group, AeroSoft, Advanced Logic Industries, Atomic Axis, Automation Creations, AVID, LLC, Dish Network, FoxGuard Solutions, IDD, Inc, Heyo, New City, Nomad Mobile Guides, Phoenix Integration, Harmonia, Prime Photonics, Qualtrax, Rackspace, TORC Robotics, VirtualU, and VTLS.
- Retail and restaurants – Notable retailers include Shelor Motor Mile, Kroger, Wal Mart, Food Lion, Backcountry.com, Lowes Home Centers, Target Corp, and the Home Depot.
- Unmanned vehicle systems – the community is home to the Virginia Center for Autonomous Systems, Virginia Smart Road and numerous UACS related manufacturers and software. In 2013, the FAA names Virginia Tech one of six official test sites for unmanned aircraft research. Leading companies include Aeroprobe Corp, AVID, LLC, Harmonia, Moog Components Group, Techsburg, TORC Robotics, and VPT, Inc.
Highly technical work and work in various types of laboratories can often be dangerous. Retail and restaurant workers can also find themselves in situations that produce accidents and injuries. If you are injured on the job, whether in unmanned vehicle systems, IT and software development, manufacturing, or biosciences, and you believe you need an advocate to represent you in dealing with your employer or insurance companies, call Bettina Altizer or Terri Welch Luzynski. We have the knowledge of these industries and the experience negotiating with insurance companies to protect your interests and ensure an appropriate financial settlement for your harms and losses.
Health Care and Social Services
Montgomery County has two hospitals, Lewis Gale Montgomery Regional Hospital (HCA) in Blacksburg and Carilion New River Valley Medical Center in Christiansburg. Nursing care is also provided by Warm Hearth Management, Heritage Hall, and Carilion Healthcare.
These are respected health care facilities. But sometimes mistakes are made. If a mistake by a medical professional causes harm or death to a member of your family, call upon the experienced attorneys of Altizer Law, P.C. We will help you and your family to assess your situation and determine the right course of action. If appropriate, we will represent you in a medical malpractice case, negotiating a settlement or trying a case in court. You can count on the diligence and perseverance of our attorneys.
Nobody wants to see an enjoyable day in the out-of-doors marred by accident or injury. Unfortunately, accidents happen, equipment fails, people are negligent or engage in unlawful acts. If you are in the Jefferson National Forest or in any of the other local parks and you are injured due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another person, we can help you. If you are fishing, canoeing, kayaking, tubing, or swimming in the New River and your equipment fails, we can help you with a products liability lawsuit to recover medical costs, lost equipment, lost wages, and compensation for your hurts and harms. Call Altizer Law, P.C. We are your shield of protection, your sword of justice.